Tuesday, February 3, 2015

We All Need Boundaries

We All Need Boundaries

Reflecting back over the last few days of things I have seen around me, things I have read and things I have heard have brought me to a place of “noticings”.  What do I mean by noticings?  These are things that you notice around you.  For instance, I noticed while watching part of the Super Bowl that I personally was not captivated by Katy Perry and her, at times, seductive moves as a lot of people in the world.  I noticed that there is so much sadness and unnecessary violence/deaths going on around us.  I noticed that there is a lack of boundaries within our families, our marriages and for our children.  

WHY?

Why have I noticed these things?  Because God has broken my heart for what breaks His.  

Why do I care about these things?  Because I long for us to be in right relationship with Him.

What can be done about them?  Set boundaries in our lives.

Why are we as a people doing these things?  NO SELF-CONTROL!

We are finishing up with the ninth fruit of the Spirit - self- control. Remember what I said at the beginning about the list of the fruit of the Spirit?  I feel they are in such an order that we have to be more intentional and seek God more when trying to display these fruits.  Because as we get further into them we see it is so much more difficult to have them pour out of us without the help of Jesus.  Proverbs 25:28 says “Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.  We ALL need boundaries not necessarily walls per say but boundaries.  When we lack having boundaries that is when we get into trouble.  

I like the way Beth Moore puts it.  “The Hebrew word for walls in Proverbs 25:28 says it all.  The word chowmah simply means “a wall of protection.”  Anything of value had to be protected.”

What is of value to you in your life today?

Your marriage.
Your spouse.
Your child(ren).
Your home.
Your money.

Do you want to protect these things?  If you do then how do you go about doing that?  Well, for your money, you put it into a bank or invest it.  With your home, you have doors that lock and maybe a security system.  But when it comes to your children, your spouse and even your marriage, it is not so easy to protect.  It is not realistic to hire a guard to watch them everyday.  Nor for most is it even feasible.  The one thing that remains is finding your hope, strength and protection in Christ and the truths found in His Word.  

If we can only learn to begin to live a life of Christ and live as His Word tells us then I feel we would not be in such a mess.  When we look further into scripture we find that God had walls in every dwelling place He chose to grace, even if they are portable walls.  1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says “do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body.”  Does the Holy Spirit dwell in you today?  Do you long to have boundaries in your life to protect you?  We have to decide to stay within our boundaries of godly morals and ethics, whether someone arounds us tells it is wrong or not.  We have the one Book that matters to tell us if it is wrong or not as well as the Holy Spirit dwelling in us to guide our hearts.  We have to decide to stay within the boundaries of our marriages.  We have to decide to stay within the boundaries of being a mother or a father with our children.  We have to maintain self-control.  Can you exercise self-control today?  Can you maintain it within your heart, your thoughts, your actions, your eyes?  There are so many things to “notice”  today when it comes to maintaining self-control.  May you succeed today as well as everyday.  But we must seek the help of Jesus everyday!  


Prayer: Father, I need You.  I need You to help me each and everyday to maintain these boundaries and not be distracted by things around me.  Help me to keep my eyes on YOU!  In Jesus Name I pray.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment