Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Psalm 7:17
17I will give thanks to the Lord according to His righteousness
And will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.

Have you ever thought about praying for your enemy?  Maybe you are thinking you don’t have any enemies.  Well, as a Christian, sadly enough, we have enemies.  But let’s first look at the definition of what an enemy really is.  An enemy is defined by Webster’s dictionary as someone who hates another;  someone who attacks or tries to harm another; something that harms or threatens someone or something or a group of people (such as a nation) against whom another group is fighting a war.  So when we look at it this way we all have enemies.  As North Americans, our country is an enemy to many countries.  We serve as a beacon to those who need hope but to those other countries we serve as a target to hit.  In order to take out that light shining in the night.  As Christians, we have an even bigger target on our backs.  Not necessarily while living in the US do we carry this target on our backs but more so while we are trying to serve in other countries that don’t believe in the Name of Jesus.  We are seeing this more and more in the news today and it breaks my heart.  But Christ tells us that we will have enemies if we are standing for the Truth!  

To bring this a little closer to home, let’s think about in your workplace or community where you live.  Do you think you have enemies?  I can remember back to several times when I felt like everything I did, my co-worker was against me.  This particular job was many years ago while I was still in my twenties.  I was at my first “real” job and at this point in my life my mother had breast cancer and was slowly dying.  This was such a difficult time in my life and I was trying to just survive.  You see I had recently gotten married (within the last 5 years) and had my own baggage I was carrying through life.  This baggage of low self-esteem, a victim of rape, my parents had recently divorced after 28 years of marriage, a not so ideal marriage, and then the death of my mom.  I was dealing with a lot then and my co-worker was criticizing something as small as the size diamond in my wedding ring (which was very small compared to hers) and the size of the home that we had just purchased.  That day was the day that the straw (her comments) broke the camels back so to speak.  I remember vividly going to my supervisor telling her in a not so gently tone that if ,she, my co-worker, wanted to go through my life to get to where I was at that point to have what I had then she could go right ahead.  

I was not happy.  
I was angry.  
I saw her as my enemy.  

And what is ironic is she needed to brag on the size of her ring because she needed that affirmation.  She needed to feel important and loved.  Unfortunately, the way she went about it was all wrong.  I decided after counsel with my supervisor to begin to pray for her.  This person I saw as my enemy.  I prayed for her heart and for her relationship with Jesus.  I prayed that God would use this as an opportunity to show the love of Christ.  He began to change both of our hearts.  It is amazing what prayer can do.  

Just like David praying for his enemy, God hears our prayers.  However, for David, his enemy sought to destroy him.  He was very violent like a lion.  David confidently sought God to bring him comfort and deliverance.  David knew he was innocent.  Maybe, you are like David and you have someone who is your enemy who is seeking to “destroy” your life.  I pray this is not the case but if it is, please pray fervently for your enemy.  God will do wonders.  Give thanks to the Lord!


Prayer: Father, I know you can use those times in our life that we feel we have enemies all around us.  You can bring glory to Your name by changing my heart and the heart of our enemy.  Help me to pray for my enemy.  You know how hard this can be and I need your help.  Help me to see them through Your eyes.  Help me to give thanks to You.  Help me to sing praise to You.  In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment