Friday, February 6, 2015

The Potter's Clay


Psalm 2

1Why are the nations in an uproar
And the peoples devising a vain thing?
2The kings of the earth take their stand
And the rulers take counsel together
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
3"Let us tear their fetters apart
And cast away their cords from us!"
4He who sits in the heavens laughs,
The Lord scoffs at them.
5Then He will speak to them in His anger
And terrify them in His fury, saying,
6"But as for Me, I have installed My King
Upon Zion, My holy mountain."
7"I will surely tell of the decree of the Lord:
He said to Me, 'You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.
8'Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance,
And the very ends of the earth as Your possession.
9'You shall break them with a rod of iron,
You shall shatter them like earthenware.'"
10Now therefore, O kings, show discernment;
Take warning, O judges of the earth.
11Worship the Lord with reverence
And rejoice with trembling.
12Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way,
For His wrath may soon be kindled.
How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!

As I am reading through Psalms I am reminded how much I still need to learn about God’s word.  Do you ever feel this way?  I hope I am not alone in this thought.  The depths of the writings make my heart long for more of an understanding not just for understanding sake but more for a deeper relationship with Jesus.  The more I know Him, The more I can understand  Him.   A song just popped in my head, The More I Seek You by Kari Jobe.  I just love when that happens.  There is something about words put to music that really bring God to life!  

In Psalm 2, we discover that this Psalm is an unchanging decree.  When you look ahead to the Great Tribulation we see that there is a “determination to prevent Christ from taking the reigns of world government.”  (Believers Bible Commentary).  We are fortunate to have God’s word because we can read ahead and see how this ends, so sometimes I wonder the same things as the psalmist:
 “ 1Why are the nations in an uproar
And the peoples devising a vain thing?
2The kings of the earth take their stand
And the rulers take counsel together
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
3"Let us tear their fetters apart
And cast away their cords from us!”

When will we as a nation learn?  We are no different than the rulers of this time.  We continue to think we are the ones in control.  HA!  Just like in verse 4 God laughs.  He is the one in control!  In verse 9 the psalmist uses the analogy of a potter’s vessel.  God gives Christ the authority to deal with insubordination.  Christ will exercise this authority when he returns to earth.  But we also find other analogies of pottery, potter or potters clay throughout Scripture.  I love when scripture uses the analogy of a potter’s vessel.  We are all like a clay pot.  

Fragile.
Porous.
Feels rough.
Different Shapes. 
Cracks. 
Broken. 

If we are not careful we can be shattered to pieces like a potter's vessel because we think we are the ones in charge.  We try to become our own kings and gods.  But I rejoice in knowing that I am like a clay pot! 

I am fragile…I need Christ to guide me.

I am porous…I can absorb God’s word into my life.

I am rough on the surface…But with God’s help can become softer.

I am a different shape…and God can still use me.

I am full of cracks…that God uses to bring others to know Him more.

I am broken…BUT REDEEMED. 

As scripture says: Rejoice today.  Be wise.  Love the Lord.  Serve the Lord.  Trust the Lord.  Take refuge in the Lord. 


Prayer:  Thank You for being our Creator.  Thank you for second chances.  Thank you for Your Word.  Even though I am full of cracks, broken, fragile and rough Mold me today into a vessel you can use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment