Monday, April 20, 2015

What Am I Doing With My Days?


Psalm 90: 12

12 So teach us to number our days,
That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.

Yesterday was my dad’s 70th birthday.  I cannot believe he is seventy years old.  He does not look seventy.  Don’t ask me what I really think it should look like but he does not look seventy.  My dad is very active and has many years ahead of him.  But as I read this particular Psalm, this verse jumped off the page.  It spoke to me in such a way that I can’t really describe.  I think as I get older, the thought of death becomes more real.  I know it sounds crazy, right!  Well, it is true that is becoming more real to me.  I know that we are all going to die but I now realize more that what I do with these days is so important.  

I remember writing a while back about the dash in your obituary is what matters.  If you missed that, here is a quick recap.  When you read someone’s obituary, you always find the date that they were born, a dash, and then the date that they died.  Well, in my opinion, it is the dash that is most important.  

What did they do with the years that they were alive?  
What am I doing with my years? 
What are you doing with your years?

Am I using everyday to bring glory and honor to God?  Am I trying to pour God’s word, His truth, and His love into my children and those around me?  Am I being an example to others?  Am I trying to be more like Christ each and everyday?  Do I have a heart of wisdom or a heart of stone?  I am so thankful for all my days up to this point.  Everyday has molded me into the person I am today.  Yes, I do think about what I would do differently if given the chance but that won’t ever happen.  I have learned to appreciate all my days.  We must live each day as if it was our last.  We are not guaranteed tomorrow.  So today, make sure that you have told your loved ones how much they mean to you.  Pour God’s word, His truths and His love into those around you.  In everything you do, bring glory and honor to God.  Seek His will for your life, not your own.  Life goes by so quickly.  You blink … and your baby is not a baby anymore or your loved one has gone on to be with the Lord.  

My Prayer for You: Father, teach each of us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom.  Help us to bring glory and honor to You each and everyday.  Show us where we have done wrong and help us make it right.  May our dash between our years be what pleases You.  In Your Son’s Name I Pray, Amen.  


Here is a song to start your day:
Blink by Revive

No comments:

Post a Comment